In this ultimate fall soup recipe, red lentils give spiced pumpkin soup a velvety texture and extra protein. It makes six servings, so it easily makes enough for a family or a week of meal prep. It’s sure to warm everyone up on a chilly autumn day, while simultaneously satisfying appetites and enticing taste buds.
Total Time: 45 min.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 35 min.
Yield: 6 servings
2 tsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups cubed pumpkin (or butternut squash)
1 cup dry red lentils
6 cups water
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cumin
Cayenne pepper (to taste; optional)
Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until translucent.
3. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute, or until tender.
4. Add pumpkin, lentils, and water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; gently boil, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until pumpkin is soft. Remove from heat.
5. Place soup in a blender or food processor, in small batches; cover with lid and kitchen towel. Blend until smooth.
6. Return soup to sauce pan over medium heat. Add ginger and cumin. Season with cayenne, salt, and pepper, if desired; cook, stirring constantly, until soup is hot.
7. Ladle soup into 6 serving bowls.
Tip: Blend small batches of hot liquids in blender or food processor since they expand during the blending process, therefore increasing the chance of overflowing.