This veggie pasta salad pairs simple, fresh ingredients with a flavorful vinaigrette dressing. Crunchy bell peppers, red onion, broccoli, and peppery arugula make it a colorful and satisfying dish. We used a brown rice and quinoa pasta, but you can substitute your favorite gluten-free or whole-grain pasta. Fusilli is perfect for pasta salads because its spiral shape captures the dressing, vegetables, and crumbles of feta cheese.
This pasta and veggies salad can be part of any healthy eating plan. For those following the 21 Day Fix Eating Plan, the recipe uses 2 greens, 2 yellows, ½ blue, and 1 teaspoon.
Italian Veggie Pasta Salad
Total Time: 55 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 10 min.
Yield: 2 servings
1 cup dry organic brown rice and quinoa fusilli pasta (or equivalent)
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium orange bell pepper, chopped
½ medium red onion, chopped
1 cup cooked broccoli, cooled to room temperature
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
½ cup fresh arugula
1. Bring large saucepan of water to a boil over high heat; cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse and drain well.
2. While pasta is cooking, combine oil, vinegar, and mustard in a small bowl; whisk to blend. Set aside.
3. Combine warm pasta and dressing in a medium bowl; toss gently to blend.
4. Add bell peppers, onion, broccoli, and cheese; toss gently to blend. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
5. Add arugula; toss gently to blend. Serve immediately.
Tip: You can find brown rice and quinoa pasta at stores like Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, health food markets, or online. If you can’t find it, substitute your favorite gluten-free or whole-grain pasta.