Serve savory mushroom ragù in acorn squash bowls for a dramatic dish that is surprisingly filling.
Total Time: 1 hr. 8 min.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 58 min.
Yield: 2 servings
1 acorn squash, cut in half, seeds removed
3 tsp. olive oil, divided use
½ medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 (15-oz.) can low-sodium crushed tomatoes
1 tsp. fresh oregano (or thyme), finely chopped
Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Brush the interior of each squash half with ½ tsp. oil.
3. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from oven. Set aside.
4. Heat remaining 2 tsp. oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
5. Add onion and mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 7 minutes, or until onions are translucent and mushrooms are lightly browned.
6. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute.
7. Add tomatoes and oregano. Season with salt and pepper if desired; cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
8. Spoon half of the sauce mixture into each squash half.